Tinsukia Business and Economy
Tinsukia district has some of the major important towns and cities which have been running as one of the strongest commercial cities in the history of not only Assam, but entire north-east India. There are several prominent places in Tinsukia which are actively involved in the economical and industrial development of the district. The most notable industries of Tinsukia are oil, tea and coal. The industries functioning in Tinsukia district are are IOC (AOD) at Digboi, Coal india limited at Margherita, Coal field at Ledo, Bordoloi and Tipong, Oil India ltd. having oil fields in and around Digboi and Makum areas, bottling plant at Gaponari, Hindustan liver ltd., Cosmetic industry amongst others. Tinsukia is also rich in producing agricultural products such as oranges, paddy rice, ginger, citrus fruits and other products.
The Assam Railways and Trading Company was the first to mine coal in the Makum coal fields. The Assam Railways and Trading Company was first incorporated in the year 1881, on the 30th of July. The first colliery was started in the year 1882 in Ledo. According to the Coal Mines (nationalization) Act, 1973, the coal mines were nationalized and consequently, the coal mines in Makum fields went under Coal Mines authority Ltd. Gradually, in the year 1975 Coal India Ltd was formed and since then the Makum coal fields are being managed by them.
Tea gardens of Tinsukia also forms a major part of the Tinsukia economy. The tea gardens of Tinsukia are famous for its eye pleasing beauty and quality. Any visitor to the place is awestruck by the immense number of tea gardens available in and around the town. there are almost 223 tea gardens in Tinsukia district which are registered with the Tea Board of India.
Industries in Tinsukia
- IOC (AOD) at Digboi (Oldest Refinery of Asia )
- Coal India Ltd. at Margherita and Coal field at Ledo, Bordoloi and Tipong
- Oil India Ltd. With Oil Fields in and around Digboi, Makum, Lakhipathar areas.
- Bottling Plant at Goponari
- Hindustan Liver Ltd. Cosmetic Industry
- Steel Worth at Makum, C.M. HO, Makum Junction
- Oil supported industries like Joyshree Mines manufacturing Manila Ropes, Manesh Leather Manufacturing safety gloves and Other industries at Borguri Industrial Estate
- Construction and repairing workshops for bodybuilding of bus and trucks at Tinsukia, Doomdooma, Digboi and Margherita
- 40 Food Processing Industry
- 10 Fruit Procesing Industry
- 72 Agro Based Industry
- 72 Plastic Based Industry
- 22 Petroleum Based Industry
- 5 Electronic Industry
- 57 Tea Based Industry
- 66 Forest Based Industry
- 11000 Number of Small Tea Growers
- 120 Number of Tea Garden