History of Tinsukia
Bangmara city was built during the reign of King Sarbananda Singha, along with the help of his minister Gopinath Barbaruah. The city was built in the heart of the Tinsukia district and as per the instructions of King Sarbananda Singha, a triangular shaped pond as dug by Godha Baruah which came to be known as the ‘tinikuniya pukhuri; meaning three-cornered pond. Gradually, the Dibru – Sadiya rail line was constructed and after the set up the city came to be popularly known as ‘Tinsukia’.
The Muttack kingdom played a significant role in the history of Tinsukia district for the Muttacks or the Moamareeyas changed the course of the Ahom rule with their historic rebellion. This rebellion started by the Muttacks was considered as the first socio-political movement in the history of Tinsukia district.
According to the map that was prepared in the year 1841 by captain Hamilton Vetch, a huge portion of both Dibrugarh and Tinsukia district was identified as “Bangmara Country of Moamareeya Tribe”. In the later part, Bangmara city was known as the Muttack City of Soumar.
Tinsukia Muttack Kingdom
Historic Events in Tinsukia
Some of the very important events that took place under the British regime in the Tinsukia district are as follows:
Coal was found near Ledo and Margherita
Crude Oil was struck for the first time in Digboi
Country’s first oil well was built at Digboi Oil Town and the Digboi refinery that was built later was the first refinery in Asia and the third in the World
The establishment of Railway and Trading Company in the region was a major turning point in its economic development which has also been a turning point in the history of Tinsukia.
The First educational institute of Tinsukia, Adarsha Prathamik Vidyalaya was established in this year.
Tinsukia declared as the 23rd administrative district of Assam with three dub-divisions namely Margherita, Tinsukia and Sadiya.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0